Saturday, July 12, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy: Starblaster Showdown 76019 full set review

LEGO Guardians of the Galaxy 76019 review contents
Guardians of the Galaxy: Starblaster Showdown 76019
Pieces: 196
$19.99 retail
Ages: 6-12
released in 2014
3 minifigures: Sakaaran soldier, Star-Lord, Nova Corps officer (left to right in above photo)
   1 sticker sheet
(shown below but I did not apply to the build)

LEGO Starblaster Showdown 76019 inside the box

Here is the entire contents of the box. There is a "comic". The first half is Guardians of the Galaxy. The second half is devoted to X-Men.

There are two bags containing parts.
LEGO Starblaster Showdown 76019 parts

Here are all of the parts including minifigures and the few extra parts that remain after completing the builds. It was the dark blue that caught my eye before buying the set with yellow that caught my eye when I first saw the set.








LEGO 76019 parts

These were the extra parts that remained after completing the builds.
Guardians of the Galaxy Starblaster Showdown 76019 review

1 and only sticker sheet for the set. I did not apply the stickers.
Guardian of the Galaxy LEGO minifigures

Here are the three minifigures with their accessories and weapons.

They are (from left to right) Sakaaran soldier, Star-Lord, Nova Corps officer
LEGO Star-Lord

I couldn't resist trying to pose Star-Lord so that it looks like he is flying.
Guardians of the Galaxy Starblaster Showdown 76019 review

Star-Lord (Peter Quill)
Perhaps the main character of the Guardians of the Galaxy team (even though the favorite of many may be Rocket Raccoon). The members of Guardians of the Galaxy that are currently available in LEGO sets are Star-Lord (2 versions), Rocket Raccoon, Drax the Destroyer, Gamora and Groot.

I love that he comes with both a helmet AND hairpiece. The set includes two identical weapons (element guns), one infinity stone (silver sphere) and two yellow 1x1 round bricks to pose him as though he is flying.

He has a double sided head with two expressions as shown in these two photo's. I'm not sure if the other LEGO version of him has the same head or not.
Guardians of the Galaxy Starblaster Showdown 76019 review

LEGO Star Lord minifigure 76019

Nice back printing.

I really like his helmet.
LEGO Nova soldiers

Nova Corps Officer

Flies the main ship build included in the set and his accessory is a pair of handcuffs.

I think I like Star-Lords helmet just a little better but this one is nice.

I LOVE the printing on his torso. It will work well for MOC's
Lego Guardians of the Galaxy minifigures

Back printing on the torso

This minifig also has a double sided head with two expressions.


Second expression WITH helmet on.
LEGO Sakaaran Soldier minifigure

Sakaaran soldier

Check out the detailed printing on this guy! I love the printing on his face.
LEGO Sakaaran soldier minifigure

Alternate side of his face.
LEGO Sakaaran


LEGO Nova Corps 76019

This is a great looking ship especially for the price of the set. It was difficult attaching transparent parts to the bottom to display it. I had to attach the transparent parts much closer to the front that I wanted but it does the trick allowing me to photograph the ship with the rear parts in open position.

The transparent parts that I used to hold the ship up unfortunately get in the way when photographing it from this angle.
LEGO Guardians of the Galaxy Starblaster Showdown 76019

This is a good angle for the ship. From this view it reminds me of a squid.
LEGO Guardians of the Galaxy Starblaster Showdown 76019

I really like how the designer of this set made the parts radiate out from the center.

Here it is partially taken apart to see the technique that was used.

I love this angle with "wings" closed
Guardians of the Galaxy Starblaster Showdown 76019

Smaller Sakaaran ship












I found it interesting that the dark gray slope or wedge part was used on the ship since if resembles a rock surface. I'm glad to be able to add it to my collection.


Closing:
For $19.99 retail (US) with 3 interesting minifigures and a nice spaceship build (the nova corp ship) its a good deal. I particularly liked the dark blue parts and even a few random darker red parts, interesting weapons for microscale MOCs (interesting shapes), and the minifigs parts for constructing other minifigs. If you are a fan of Guardians of the Galaxy or seeking the particular parts in this set it retails at a fair price.

Pros:
Fair price
Interesting minifigs (very detailed with interesting print designs)
Weapons of both the Sakaaran and Star-lord are interesting shapes/elements and new
Nova Corp Ship is an interesting design
Both heroes and villains have a vehicle which increases play possibilities for young fans

 Cons:
Sakaaran ship is rather "blah" but I'm sure it is based on the design of the ships to be used in the movies (not the fault of the LEGO designer) and for the price of the set I don't think we should complain
Set reminds me very much of an army builder set. The inclusion of Star-Lord presents problems in this case. Those building an army of Sakaaran and Nova Corp soldiers will have multiples of Star-Lord (send them to me please ;-) )

 Thank you for reading! Thank you to my subscribers and followers! Please check back for LEGO and general toy news and reviews.
Notice any mistakes within my post? Feel free to comment or write.


No comments:

Post a Comment