Sunday, August 2, 2015

Scooby-Doo minifigure comparison: Character Building version & LEGO version

LEGO Scooby vs Character Building Scooby
 Character Building Scooby-Doo minifigure and LEGO Scooby-Doo comparison

LEGO Scooby-Doo sets were officially released August 1st, 2015 but before Scooby was in LEGO form there was a similar minifigure made by a company known as Character Building. 

Clicking on ads on my blog help to support my hobby and the blog. Your help is greatly appreciated. I do plan to limit the ads so that they don't create an unpleasant reading experience. 

For more related posts you can click "tags" as the end of the post. Or click the following two links to visit my other earlier Scooby related posts. pre-release announcements and details or Character Building Scooby details and LEGO Scooby MOCs

Back to the Scooby Comparisons:

I discovered the Character Building company when I saw images of Doctor Who minifigures. I began looking for a store in the US that carried their products so that I could buy a few of my favorite Doctor Who characters in minifigure form. They weren't LEGO but they had a lot of similarities. They weren't easy to find in stores in the US but I found a few and ordered a few from Ebay vendors. Not long after I discovered that Character Building was creating a Scooby-Doo line. It included a few building sets with Scooby and the gang plus some villains. They also released villains and members of the mystery solving crew (except for Scooby himself) in blind bags. I was able to find both the Scooby-Doo sets and blind bags at a Toys R Us but I only wanted Scooby-Doo so that he could accompany custom LEGO minifigures of the rest of the gang. I was able to order the Scooby-Doo Character Building minifigure from an Ebay vendor in Britain. 

If you want to learn more about the Character Building company and their products you can CLICK HERE to go to the Character Building website
Images and information about the Character Building Scooby-Doo sets can be found by CLICKING HERE



LEGO Scooby faces
 I was very surprised and happy when I heard the news that LEGO was creating LEGO Scooby-Doo sets and managed to buy the LEGO Mystery Machine 75902 set two days ago. The LEGO Scooby shown in my post is from that set. I'm not sure which set the Character Building Scooby is from.

Side by side they look very similar and close to the same size.



LEGO Scooby 75902
 Both are able to turn at the neck. I think it looks a little strange though when the Character Building Scooby is posed this way.

Also the collar of the LEGO version is much more clearly defined and the color is much more vibrant.
LEGO Scooby-Doo minifigure
Left: Character Building, Right: LEGO
 The Character Building figure is much more poseable than the LEGO figure. Here you can see each taken apart.

The LEGO minifigure can only be moved at the neck. There is also a LEGO Scooby in sitting form. It also only moves at the neck. I hope to have one soon.
Scooby Character Options minifigure
 Character Building Scooby definitely out scores LEGO Scooby in movement possibilities.

Also his feet snap onto LEGO studs much more securely than the LEGO version.

Each foot of the Character Building figure can snap separately on a stud while the LEGO version attaches much differently. Below is a photograph of LEGO Scooby's feet.



LEGO Scooby Mystery Machine review
LEGO Version feet

LEGO Scooby-Doo review
LEGO version connection

LEGO Scooby articulation
 Each foot of the LEGO Scooby only connects to a small portion of a LEGO stud. One leg is raised. The other three legs work together to grip LEGO studs. 

Verdict:

LEGO Scooby looks much better in both the sculpt and printing. Also LEGO has released both a standing and sitting version. Now they just need a frightened and wrapped around Shaggy version. Each side of this Scooby face is different. One side looks frightened while the other is calm. This is great for those that like to do LEGO stop motion animation.

Character Building Scooby is much more easy to pose and play with. Even though he has many more articulation points it's impossible to make him sit in a convincing pose. 

I prefer LEGO Scooby but only slightly. Character Building Scooby "sticks" to LEGO studs better and has more articulation points but LEGO Scooby looks better, has different expressions and is available in both standing and sitting poses. Please keep in mind this is just my opinion. I love both and plan to keep both in my collection. 

What are your thoughts?


Thank you for reading! Thank you to my subscribers and followers! Please check back for LEGO and general toy news and reviews. Notice any mistakes within my post? Feel free to comment or write.

 Please help support my blog by following me, spreading the word or visiting ads on my page. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment